Recommendations For a Yeast Starter
- Do not add any metabisulphite prior to fermentation.
- While your juice/must is warming up to room temperature a yeast starter should be prepared.
- These directions are for one pail of juice/must and should be multiplied accordingly.
- Add 250 ml of warm water (20C) to a large mouth bowl.
- Add 5g of “go-ferm” and stir in.
- Sprinkle 5g of yeast on top and wait 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in and add 250ml of 50/50 mix (equal parts of juice and water combined to 20C).
- Wait one hour and stir.
- Slowly pour into room temperature juice/must trying to keep the yeast starter together.
- When fermentation starts (usually 2 days later) then add 5g of “fermaid.”
Note: We recommend punching the cap on reds at least twice daily. If you notice a rotten egg smell then add DAP. Acid and or sugar adjustments should be done before yeast inoculation.
D.A.P. Add 3-5g/23L pail of DAP if H2S is present.
Recommedations For a Yeast Starter